Friday 1 April 2016

A V. Personal Review of Bridget Jones's Diary

Title: Bridget Jones's Diary
Author: Helen Fielding
Series or Standalone: Bridget Jones #1
Genre: Adult Contemporary/Retelling of Pride and Prejudice
Publication Date: 1996
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought

Star Rating: 1 star
GOODREADS

Synposis ---> A dazzling urban satire of modern human relations?
An ironic, tragic insight into the demise of the nuclear family?
Or the confused ramblings of a pissed thirty-something?
Helen Fielding's devastatingly self-aware, laugh-out-loud account of a year in the life of a thirty-something Singleton launched a genre and transcended the pages of fiction to become a cultural icon.

Prepare yourselves, it's about to get personal up in here.
So, I've never seen the movie of Bridget Jones's Diary, so I thought I would read the highly acclaimed book before doing so and, to my great surprise, I ended up hating almost everything about it. I 100% understand why people like it - it's funny and relatable and reminiscent of the great decade that was the 90's, but because of a purely personal problem, this book made me feel like garbage and therefore making me absolutely loathe my reading experience. 
Bridget is always writing down her weight and saying she's fat, but the thing is, it's not just herself saying this. Friends, family and other characters also call her fat throughout the novel and then I look at me, who weighs over 15 kilos more than Bridget, and it honestly made me feel like crap. I have already been struggling with confidence and self-loathing because over the past couple of years I've put on 25 kilos due to changing medications for my mental health, so this book honestly just made it worse. Is this what people on the street think about me when I walk by? Do my friends and family secretly discuss how much weight I've put on behind my back? It honestly took me back to when members of my own family were making snide remarks about my weight or offering suggestions for how exercise and dieting could benefit me, thinking they were helping when really, it made it ten times worse. 
I was 3/4 of the way through the book, when I thought to myself, has anything plot-wise actually happened? Nope. Just a bunch of damaging self-hatred that triggered my own. 
I get that a lot of people love the book and that's fine, I totally get it, but for me, it ended up being a damaging and destructive novel that ended up being quite triggering for my depression.
Let me know any thoughts you guys have on this book or any of the things I've discussed!

3 comments:

  1. I read this book over 10 years ago and I thought it was alright and kind of amusing, but I think if I were to read it again now I would have all the same issues you did. I'm in a similar situation with my mental health and medication and can see how triggering it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also didn't like this book for many reasons. I also didn't think much happened, which led me to DNF it.

    ReplyDelete