Monday 22 December 2014

Book Review | True Calling by Siobhan Davis

Title: True Calling
Author: Siobhan Davis
Series: First in a trilogy
Publisher: Self Published
Format: eArc
Source: NetGalley
Genre: Young Adult Sci-fi
Goodreads

Plot: ★★★★
I have been obsessed with YA Sci-fi books ever since I picked up Across the Universe a few years back and so when I saw this title on Netgalley I just couldn’t resist! It follows a girl called Ariana whose family relocated to the planet Novo two years ago where life is peaceful and in control. Then the ‘Calling’ gets announced – a pageant where you are placed with your best match to marry and you must have kids ASAP. Ariana doesn’t like having her life taken from her like that as she wants to have a career before she gets married and has kids. Then she starts dreaming of a boy back on Earth and she has no idea if he’s from her past life or just a figment of her imagination.
It sounds great right? The only downside to certain plotlines in this book is that they were very reminiscent of other books. I couldn’t help but think immediately of how similar this was to the Hunger Games and the Selection series. Otherwise, it was really enjoyable and I’m intrigued to see where the next book will go!
 
Characters: ★★★★.5
For some reason at times I found myself getting confused because at one stage there were a whole bunch of new characters introduced and then I was like.. who are you again? But other than that I thought the characters were all really well done and I really enjoyed how prominent her family was in the book.

Writing: ★★★★
I can’t think of anything to really criticise about the writing, but for me, there wasn’t anything mind-blowingly different about it either.

Romance/Feels: ★★★★
This is obviously going to be a love triangle and I am definitely rooting form one of them all the way! There were some feels and I can tell that in future books, there’s going to be a lot more!

Ending: ★★★★.5
SO INTENSE. It really picked up towards the end and there was so much action! The last line of the book reminded me again, however of other works like the Hunger Games and Divergent. I just felt like a couple of things were too similar.

Overall Enjoyment: ★★★★
I definitely recommend this to anyone who loves a good sci-fi romance!

Rereadability: Possibly.


Final Rating:  4.17 stars to be exact!

No comments:

Post a Comment