Wednesday 18 June 2014

REVIEW | The Selection Trilogy by Kiera Cass

THE SELECTION TRILOGY by KIERA CASS

Genre: YA Dystopian/Romance

Overall Series Rating★★★★★

Goodreads link for The first book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10507293-the-selection

Review:

The Selection trilogy follows a girl called America as she competes in the Selection, a competition where the winner gets to marry the Prince and become Princess, and later on, the Queen. This is a dystopian in that the people of Illea are put into castes, which are basically numbers from 1-8. The higher your number, the more comfortably you live and the more food you have on the table. The Ones consist of royalty, the Two's are guards, etc. all the way down until the Eight's, the people practically living on the streets. America is a Five, and little does her family know, she is already in love with a Six, a boy called Aspen who can barely afford to feed himself after he works to feed his family. America is ready to marry Aspen and become a Six, when all of a sudden she is chosen as one of the 35 girls to compete for Prince Maxon and the crown. 

All I can say is WOW. I did not expect to absolutely adore this trilogy as much as I did! Judging by the many reviews I have seen on these books, I immediately assumed that it was going to be a frustratingly annoying love triangle with hardly any dystopian elements. I WAS SO WRONG. Yes, America was frustrating sometimes but IT KEPT YOU HOOKED. I honestly disagree with the people who are saying the dystopian aspect isn't done well, I think it's excellent and in my opinion, the series had just the right amount of balance between the romance and the dystopian storyline.
The main thing you need to know before going into this trilogy is PREPARE YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT PUT THESE DOWN. I read the first book in a night and the writing makes them so addictive that you just want to know what's going to happen next. The writing itself was beautiful, but not overdone in trying to be poetic or anything, it was just perfect. Each and every character has such a unique personality and you can tell that Kiera has put SO much thought into each and every single character.
This series also made me feel a lot of emotions that I didn't expect to feel. I was expecting it to be a very light romance book but there were times in this series (particularly in the Elite and the One) where I was on the verge of tears and it felt like my heart was shattering into a million pieces.
Everything about this trilogy is excellently done and the ending will give you the perfect amount of satisfaction and heartbreak. A beautiful, addicting trilogy that I will definitely be reading again in the future. Amazing!

1 comment:

  1. I read The Selection about a month ago, and still need to read the other books. I want to because The Selection was a quick, easy read, but I'm also kind of wary because a lot of people say America becomes an annoying protagonist, but after reading about how much you loved them, I think they might have a higher spot on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete