Saturday 25 October 2014

Series Review | Tomorrow Series by John Marsden

Title: The Tomorrow Series
Author: John Marsden
Series: Series (7 books)
Publisher: Pan Macmillan 
Format: Paperbacks
Source: Bought/Gifted
Genre: Young Adult War/Apocalyptic/Dystopian/Cultural (Australia)
Goodreads


Plot: ★★★★★
This story is the top selling series for Australian teens and I can totally see why. 5 friends decide to go on a camping trip during the holidays, but when they come back, everyone’s gone. Everyone is being held against their will in the showground and it appears that another country has sent its military forces to take over Australia. What happens next is a story of survival, war, friendship and love. I’ve honestly never read anything like this before. Most apocalyptic stories involve aliens and stuff, but this is a full on war where Australia is being taken over by another race. The plot was so original to me and so well executed. Absolutely fantastic!

Characters: ★★★★★
Over the time that I read all 7 books I grew so attached to the characters and their stories. Everyone is so different and flawed and I love how Marsden shows the effect a war can have on a bunch of teenage kids. It’s life changing and traumatic and he really shows this through the way the characters develop and learn to survive.

Writing:
★★★★
The only reason I docked a star here is because people from other countries who are reading the series may not understand a lot of the Australian references. A couple of them I didn’t even understand because I live in the city! However, I love the way that Marsden wrote the story. It was so realistic. I feel as though this is what would actually happen to a group of teenagers in a war.

Romance/Feels:
★★★★.5
SO MANY FEELS. Obviously there isn’t a huge amount of romance, but Marsden does explore first loves, romantic feelings and sex in a really realistic way. I felt so attached to the characters, and therefore when things happen, I got feels straight in the heart.

Ending:
★★★★.5
I’m not going to spoil anything here, but just know that it’s a really realistic ending! Both happy and sad. Overall, I think it works really well.

Overall Enjoyment:
★★★★.5
I absolutely loved reading these books. They gave me so much to think about and how much we take for granted. I definitely recommend this series to anyone because it’s absolutely brilliant in every way!

Rereadability: I will definitely be rereading these in the future. I feel as though they’ve had a huge impact on me as a person.


Final Rating: 4.58 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment