Wednesday 9 April 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Forbidden - Tabitha Suzuma
Genre: YA Contemporary
My Rating: ★★★★
Goodreads Summary: Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.
CAUTION: HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD!
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?
description
KSFHJBSJDFSDKFGSDFKGDFSKH Finished this book yesterday and was just… GAH! I do not have words for the feelings that are being felt right now. The overwhelming feelings that Tabitha Suzuma made it possible to feel from reading words from a page is an extraordinary gift.
THE BAD
1. Both Lochan and Maya seemed to sound and think almost identically (in terms of the writing) and therefore I often found myself picturing Maya doing the things in Lochan’s chapters and vice versa and kept going oopsies that’s awkward.
2. I felt that some of it was predictable, like it was obvious that [they were going to get caught doing it by their mother and that somebody was watching them and knew about them (Kit).
THE GOOD
1. So yes, some of the story was predictable but NOT THE ENDING OMG I DID NOT EXPECT SERIOUSLY!
description
yes, it’s a shocked cat, and so am I.
Even while Lochan was preparing the string from the sheets and stuff I had NO IDEA that he was going to kill himself, I seriously just thought he was planning to escape. Maybe I’m just stupid but I really thought that Maya’s happiness would mean more to him than that, even though it seemed like the only option for him to save her. So anyway, this ending blew my mind and made the book for me even though I was dying inside.
2. The emotions I felt for the other characters was just jakhbcksadhfakhdf, like I LOVED the other kids and really felt like they were real people jumping out of the pages at me. BUT THE MOTHER OMG I FEEL SO MUCH RAGE AT HER HOW COULD SHE? Somebody please restrain me while I calm myself but seriously, anyone else want to punch her in the face and shake her senseless until she realised what the HELL she was doing?
3. I liked that Lochan was different and had issues. I liked that it wasn’t your conventional couple (OBVIOUSLY DUH), no but I liked that he was a bit angsty and losing his shit sometimes. It made it different, interesting and unusual.
Favourite Quote: “At the end of the day it’s about how much you can bear, how much you can endure. Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.”

No comments:

Post a Comment