Wednesday 9 April 2014

MINI REVIEW: THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER BY STEPHEN CHBOSKY

The perks of being a wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
Genre: YA Contemporary
My Rating: ★ 
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22628.The_Perks_of_Being_a_Wallflower?from_search=true
Goodreads Summary:
Charlie is a freshman.

And while he’s not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can’t stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

I did not like this book…. At all. I really wanted to like it though, I really did, but I just hated it. Now before you get mad at me and start hating on me, please try and see this from my side. I felt like the story had absolutely no plot, no direction and no purpose. And isn’t that what a good story is supposed to have? I felt like I was just trudging along and then it was over and that was it. I kept reading till the end to see if something amazing and crazy happens at the end and that was why people were giving it such high ratings, but nope, that was it. Just blah blah blah and then it just ended. Ugh. I don’t know. I just felt like it was a waste of time and I could have read a better book instead. I did kind of enjoy the characters though and I thought that they were quite well developed and what not, but the rest was just boring and pointless to me. But so many people love this, so don’t just take my word for it, this is just my opinion! Give it a go and I would love to know what you guys thought of it and if you liked it, I’d love to hear your thoughts on why and maybe I can try to understand! 

No comments:

Post a Comment