Wednesday 9 April 2014

DELTORA QUEST - SERIES REVIEW

Deltora Quest Series 1 - Emily Rodda
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/EPICNESS!
My rating: ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
Not many people have heard of this incredible series because Emily Rodda is an Australian children’s author, but oh my goodness, this series has to get out there because it’s that good. I re-read this series almost every year and each time, I can’t believe the amount of world building, plot development and character development has gone into it. Yes, this is a children’s series, but it’s like Harry Potter, something you can read at any age and enjoy. It has 8 books in the series and has two other companion series (Deltora Shadowlands and Dragons of Deltora) which both follow the same main characters as the first series. I highly recommend all three because HOLY DAMN the first series is JUST THE BEGINNING. SO MUCH THOUGHT has gone into this world and how it was all going to pan out that it just falls together perfectly and leaves you with the most satisfying endings EVER.
A quick summary:
This story follows Lief, a sixteen year old boy, who has been sent on a journey to save the land of Deltora. Years before, the evil shadowlord managed to steal the belt of Deltora, a magical belt made up of 7 gems that together, help to rid their land of evil. The shadowlord took the seven gems and scattered them throughout the land in the most dangerous of places, places people don’t dare to go. The belt will only work if the heir to the throne wears it, so as well as finding the gems and facing terrifying places and creatures, they also have to find the heir, who has supposedly been in hiding since the shadowlord took over. Lief is accompanied by Barda, a former palace guard and they meet Jasmine along the way, a kickass character in my opinion! And together they face what nobody has faced before, all to save Deltora!
BAM! This world is so epic and so different to anything I’ve ever read before, and I just wish more people knew about it. It’s just so flipping good. The characters are so intriguing and well rounded, you feel like you know them, that you’re friends with them and you just feel all the things they feel. Emily Rodda, you are a dang genius if you ask me! The twists and turns (especially at the end holy crap) were INSANE and BRILLIANT and just… GAH! This is the series that got me into reading when I was 10 years old, and this (alongside Harry Potter of course) was what I grew up with (as did many Australian kids). At first I thought this series was just for boys (before I read it, of course) but DAMN I was wrong because this is an EPIC fantasy series for all ages and genders! I highly, HIGHLY recommend this series. Please check it out and SPREAD THE WORD! Okay, I think I’m done raving now.
You can buy all 8 books on the book depository, they’re only about $5 each!

No comments:

Post a Comment