Monday 10 November 2014

BOOK REVIEW | THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER BY MICHELLE HODKIN

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: First in a trilogy
Publisher:
Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Genre: Young Adult Mystery/Paranormal
Goodreads

Blurb: Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.


Plot: ★★★★★
This story gripped me from the very first page and not just plot wise, but in every single aspect of the story. It follows a girl called Mara Dyer who is the sole survivor in the collapse of an abandoned asylum. Her best friend, her boyfriend and her boyfriends sister weren’t so lucky. This leaves Mara with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which makes Mara have hallucintions that are not only creepy, but also extremely intriguing. Basically, we’re left with an unreliable narrator and that just gets me so excited. Is what she’s seeing real? I DON’T KNOW. SO EXCITING.
The plot is so intriguing and mysterious and you can’t help but flip those pages and keep reading until you’re provided with answers.

Characters: ★★★★★
I loved the diversity of the characters and you could really feel that they were all deeply realistic and individual. I absolutely adored Mara and her family and each character was so real and I found myself becoming so attached to them! Also, Noah Shaw. Just chucking that one in there.

Writing: ★★★★
Absolutely beautiful, captivating and gripping throughout the entire book. I honestly haven’t felt this captivated in a book since I read Twilight the first time. I just couldn’t put. it. down. You can tell that this story has so much depth and that the author has thought of so much that you just don’t know yet. It left me reeling!

Romance/Feels: ★★★★★
ALL OF THE FEELINGS ALL OVER THE PLACE. The romance doesn’t move too fast and it’s reassuring. I just fell in love with Noah Shaw. FELL SO HARD.

Ending:
★★★★.5
This is the only slight problem I had! The ending got a little confusing and I had to reread parts of it, but I think that’s kind of what Michelle Hodkin meant to do because Mara would have been so confused and we’re left reeling along with her and this made us sucked into the story even more. So clever.

Overall Enjoyment:
★★★★★
I love everything about this book. Absolutely everything. Please read it

Rereadability: YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.


Final Rating: 4.92 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment